Press Release: A £100,000 difference
The Scottish Government has awarded £100,000 to leading charity WEvolution to enable it to carry out its core work over the next year.
Since 2011, WEvolution’s Self-Reliant Group (SRG) model has supported the creation of stronger communities by supporting people to start up new businesses.
The movement brings together groups of people who uncover their entrepreneurial potential through peer connections. Members raise their own capital through collecting weekly group savings before turning small business ideas into products and services.
Whilst the charity has worked extremely hard to continue growing its level of impact throughout the pandemic, difficult decisions were made including the closure of two 24/7 hubs and its head office. Noel Mathias, Founder and Managing Director of WEvolution explained, “The last 17 months have caused great upheaval but we – and the SRG community – have continued to move forward without losing momentum. This funding allows us to keep growing the impact of the SRG model and make an important contribution to the social and economic renewal of Scotland. We have big plans over the coming months and I’d encourage everyone to visit our new website to read about the support we provide in their area.”
Data from the charity’s latest impact survey shows that 79% of members reported feeling less isolated as a result of belonging to an SRG, as well as the wider community, during the COVID pandemic. Groups continued to operate in this time, despite significant social and economic challenges, in addition to depleted support from WEvolution.
Head of Trustees and CEO of Carnegie UK, Sarah Davidson said, “We know that Self Reliant Group members report increased confidence, healthy social networks, improved skill sets and better health and wellbeing. As we start to recover from the pandemic, WEvolution will continue to support SRGs across Scotland so that more people can access the benefits of having a greater sense of control over their lives.”
WEvolution has supported a growing network of over 130 Self Reliant Groups (SRGs) across Scotland, England, Wales and the Netherlands.
For more information on WEvolution, please visit: www.wevolution.org.uk
– ENDS –
For further information, please contact Heather@wevolution.org.uk or call 07958 680342
Notes to Editor
- WEvolution is the UK’s pioneering charity, facilitating the growth of SRGs in marginalised communities.
- WEvolution began in 2011 when a group of 13 women from some of Scotland’s most economically disadvantaged communities travelled to India to experience first-hand the rapid growth of women’s self-help groups across the Indian sub-continent. What they experienced there motivated them to begin a similar movement back in the UK. Today there are now over 130 groups.
- WEvolution’s ambition is to build a global movement of unexpected entrepreneurs, making life better for all. They believe people can empower each other to challenge systems that limit their potential and create opportunities for themselves.
- WEvolution’s mission is to inspire individuals to connect and grow their confidence, skills and income together.
- WEvolution launched in 2011.
- Visit wevolutionorg.uk and srgmovement.com or follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
- Anyone looking to start a Self-Reliant Group can visit com or call us on 07592537736.